Saturday, February 13, 2021

The Satellite Quilt

This Satellite Quilt is all about circles and color.  I made this quilt for my great-nephew, Grayson.  It's made out of colorful batik fabrics. 



To make this quilt you group your fabric together in light and dark groups and then sew those groups together into 9 inch square strip sets.  






Then I took a special template to make inset circles and used it to cut out large and small quarter circles, which were then sewn together. Most of the circles on this quilt are made in "pac man" shapes with a quarter missing.  The others are complete circles. 















Once I had all the circles inset into 9 inch squares I sewed them together. Then I made a border using leftover sections of the strip squares.  Once the borders were sewn on I put the quilt on the longarm. 








I used rulers to stitch diagonally across the circles and "pac man" shaped circles.  Then I used circle rulers and just doodled circles all over the quilt to fill the space.  






I used Quilter's Dream batting in polyester. For the backing I found a blue batik fabric with little circles on it to match the batik fabrics used in the quilt top.  I used Aurifil Monofilament thread on the top and a light blue MicroQuilter thread on the bottom.  I would have liked to have used a darker blue thread on the back, but I used what I had on hand here because with COVID numbers rising we don't go out shopping.  





This is one of those quilts where the colors are better seen up close and in person. My "master quilt holder" braved the cold and held it up for a picture outside.  




Make sure to pick up a needle and thread and stitch some love into your world❣️








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here! I will enjoy reading them!