Wednesday, August 12, 2020

THE ART DECO QUILT ๐Ÿงก ๐Ÿ’› ❤️

 I made this quilt for my god-baby, Tiffany.  I have four god-daughters and Tiffy is my second one. At first I wanted to quilt something very contemporary for her. But the more I thought about it I decided to search for a quilt pattern that had more of an art deco vibe to it. I found this pattern and loved those little squares all over it.  They definitely reminded me of art deco design, especially in the architecture of that period.  




The pattern for this was well written and sewed up like a dream.  It took forever to do all those tiny one inch squares but they're just so pretty that I didn't mind at all.  This time while stitching I watched the original Star Trek series.  I was ten when it came out in 1967.  



I hadn't realized that this quilt is on the smaller size. It's only 48.5" X 63.5", but that still makes a nice couch quilt to snuggle with.  To that end I used Quilter's Dream Orient batting which is made up of an exotic blend of Bamboo, Silk and Cotton.  This batting has been hard to find during the COVID virus but I scored a couple of them awhile back so I had it on hand to use.






Then it was time to put it on my longarm.  This is always my favorite part of quilting.  I wanted to preserve the art deco look so I stuck to geometric ruler work.  I used Aurifil Monofilament thread which is invisible and can be used to stitch across all the colors.  For my bobbin thread I used MicroQuilter 7007 in a light gray. Then I lowered my tension to 1.0 to accommodate the finer threads.  


 

After binding the quilt it was time for my "Master Quilt Holder" to go to work.  My husband was a joy to work with this time because with the smaller size of the quilt he was able to hold it up easily.  When I do a large quilt he can never get those top corners to stay straight and I have to keep reshooting the picture making him just a tad bit grumpy.  (Did I say that?) Anyway, I hope that Tiffy enjoys her quilt! 


Remember to pick up a needle and thread and stitch some love and joy into your world❣️  


The Master Quilt Holder at work!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here! I will enjoy reading them!