Saturday, December 21, 2019

IT'S DECLASSIFIED πŸ‘½πŸ‘½πŸ‘½





This is a very special quilt that I made for my brother from a pattern that made the cover of QUILTY magazine in their Jan/Feb 2019 edition. The pattern, called THAT'S NO MOON was designed by Megan Collins.






And for those of you who aren't STAR WARS fans  (Wait! Is there even such a thing???),  here is the famous quote that this pattern is based on ...



I always thought that this pattern would be the perfect fit for a quilt for my brother's 60'th birthday because I wanted to make him an aLiEn quilt.  His birthday was last May but we never acknowledge each other's birthday on the correct date.  It's just a weird brother/sister thing that we do. So, instead, I thought I'd present him with his quilt at Christmastime when we drove up to Chicagoland through the snow, slush, muck and blizzards to celebrate his daughter's wedding.  She's my niece ... Emmy Lou Who ❤️  But why an aLiEn quilt?  Do you REALLY wanna go there? 

Well, you did ask ... 
You see when my son was a toddler he woke up one afternoon from his nap to announce that Uncle Deano (my brother) had gone to live on another planet.  He said the Uncle Deano who had visited us was actually an aLiEn. Oh no, my brother was a changeling! (Which kinda explains a lot!) And from this one small pronouncement a family tradition was born.  

My brother, Deano, the aLiEn πŸ‘½

Ever since that day we gift my brother and his family and all of our family and friends with aLiEnS.  Once on a family reunion everyone arrived to find aLiEnS hiding in their sheets, shoes, ice cream, soda ... you name it ... there was an aLiEn hiding in it. The fun part was that my brother got blamed for this.  I actually know exactly how all those little aLiEnS arrived that summer (wink, wink), but my lips are forever sealed.  


My  nephew collecting aLiEnS at our family reunion!

























I also started designing aLiEnS and selling them on Zazzle.  For some reason my biggest market for aLiEnS is in England. I'm not entirely sure why that is. You can find my aLiEnS in my online store Bits Of Whimsy and my quilt goodies at Whimsy Quilts.


My aLiEnS

Okay, so now that I've established that my family's a little weird (but then whose isn't?) let's get back to my quilt ...

Now that I had the pattern picked out, I was on the lookout for the perfect material for my brother's quilt.  Of course, I wanted aLiEn fabric but not just any ol' run of the mill aLiEn fabric.  I wanted something absolutely special.   Then one day GIUCY GUICE❣️walked into my life by way of Instagram! 

Giucy Giuce


Giuseppe Ribaudo (AKA Giucy Giuce) is a fabric designer for Andover Fabrics.  He is also a pattern designer and quilting instructor.  His fabric lines, DeclassifiedQuantumRedux and Spectrastatic are out of this world!  One night on his Instagram story I followed along as Giucy spotted some weirdly unbelievable "lights" up in the sky outside his home. He documented what he saw and from that experience his Declassified line of fabric was born.  And that's how I found the PERFECT fabric for my aLiEn quilt.  

Here is a photo of Redacted in Onyx from the Declassified fabric line. It's  filled with redacted files from aLiEn sightings.  Tell me, is that the perfect fabric or what?!?! I couldn't resist using this for my backing! At first, I was going to mix it up with some other fabrics but this is just SO perfect that I left it as the entire backing.

A quote from Giucy Giuce ... "Redacted is hands down my favorite design from DECLASSIFIED. This print is what changed this collection from being a group about aliens to a group about a conspiracy. I had imagined the design originally as journal entries, accounts of alien encounters. Then I thought it would be cool to bring illustrations into it so it turned into testimonials/interviews conducted by the government.  Then I remembered the government doesn't want us knowing anything about aliens.  That's when I redacted everything.  And that's when not only this design, but the entire collection, took a very dramatic turn."


The only drawback to finding this perfect fabric collection was that it wasn't actually out yet.  I had to preorder it and wait until November for it to arrive. It was a long wait but finally one day there it was sitting on my door step. I was so excited that I literally ripped it open, ran upstairs to my sewing closet (yes, I sew in a closet) and then got down to business. 

For my background I chose Redacted in Onyx, Ciper in Achronic, Redacted in Achronic and Glyph in Onyx.  (The fabric names are so cool that I have to tell you each of them.)






For my "moons" I used nine fabrics. Schematic in Turqoise, Schematic in Peridot, Polaris in Jade, Hyperbolic in Quasar, DNA in Copper Metallic, Circuitry in Blue Morpho, Petri in Nonno, Cipher in Radioactive and Interconnection in Nonno.




For my sashings and borders I used Crop Circles in Carrera.  





And for my quilt bag I used the Quantum Panels in Moonstone and Millet.




I knew that I wanted my quilt to be "out there".  You know, quirky with a side of "otherness" but my first attempt was so chaotic that it gave me a headache to even look at it.  I had used all of the different fabric colors from the collection in each of the "moons" and it was all just too much against the chaos of the black and white background that I had chosen. So, then I decided to just make a black background ... you know, something nice and tame. The thing is though, I didn't really want a pretty quilt.  I actually wanted a quirky, crazy aLiEn quilt. Soooo, I went back to the black and white background and ...





instead of using every gorgeous fabric in the line I decided to select just those fabrics in "shades of aLiEn" and use those colors throughout. That tempered the overall look a little bit but still left a lot of the chaos in. After all, it is an aLiEn quilt πŸ‘½ 

At the last moment I decided to add a border to my quilt using the amazing Crop Circles fabric. While I was waiting for my additional fabric to arrive I decided to make a quilt bag out of the two panels that had come with my Quantum fabric bundle earlier in the year.  I stitched the panels together along with a border and made them into a lined drawstring bag with squared corners.  I'll throw a cedar block and some washing instructions in there and use this to gift the quilt with. 




All that was left to do was to design the perfect card to go with my quilt. I made an aLiEn Birthday/Christmas card for my brother.  I used Christmas aLiEnS and some Declassified fabric.  It turned out cute πŸ‘½  



The card reads: Celebrating your sixtieth year on our planet!


























Finally, my extra fabric arrived, I sewed those gorgeous borders on and then loaded it onto my longarm.  





Quilting on the longarm is my favOrite part of the quilting process❣️ It goes without saying that I didn't want to do too much in the way of quilting with this quilt top. Instead, I wanted the quilting to just support the design of all that crazy cool fabric and not over power it.  






I used Quilter's Dream Wool Batting for this quilt.  Wool batting is a delight to work with and it gives the quilt that extra loft that makes the quilting stand out.  I used Auriful Monofilament thread in the top and Micro Quilter 7008, which is a gray, in the bobbin. I set my top tension to 1.25 and my TOWA tension for the bobbin to 180.  I used a stitch length of 9.  And for my needle I used a Superior Titanium Topstitch 90-14.  For the 100 weight thread that I used you're supposed to use a smaller needle but for some reason those 90-14's just work great on my machine. 





Once the quilt was done it was time to sew the binding on. And, yes, I know a darker color would have contained the chaos of the quilt better. But again, I wanted an aLiEn quilt so I chose the Cipher fabric in Radioactive for my binding.  It gave the quilt front an eerie frame and it absolutely made the black backing pop!  Then I took one of my own aLiEn designs and "spoonflowered" it.  I cut it out and appliquΓ©d it onto the bottom corner of the backing as my way of signing the quilt.


I signed my quilt πŸ‘½


It's always so hard to photograph quilts. They always look so much better in person. But here's a shot taken in good lighting followed by one taken in dim lighting to show you some of the quilting.









I have one thing left on my bucket list and that's to go heli-diving in the alps.  (That's skydiving from a helicopter.)  You can read all about my skydiving adventures in a previous blog ... LET'S GO SKYDIVING!  Now I'm thinking that I might just add another adventure to my list.  I think it would be absolutely crazy cool to hang out with Giucy Giuce for an evening. He seems like he'd fit right into our family and, who knows, maybe we'd even see some "interesting" lights up in the sky. After all, there's always aLiEnS popping up wherever I go πŸ‘½ πŸ‘½ πŸ‘½


Remember, aLiEnS are everywhere and they're watching us!
Here are just a few of my aLiEn designs ...







Remember, to pick up a needle and thread and stitch some love into your universe πŸ‘½ 

Cocoa Bear enjoying the new quilt❣️





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here! I will enjoy reading them!