Sunday, September 8, 2019

THE IRIDESCENCE SPECTRUM QUILT ✨ ✨ ✨

The Iridescence Spectrum Quilt is a fun, modern quilt designed by Laura Piland of Slice of Pi Quilts.  My husband picked out this pattern for me to make as a wedding quilt for his niece, Kelly.






This quilt is made up entirely of half square triangles and squares. There are 980 pieces in the quilt top and it's made from 23 different colors.  I used a fat quarter bundle of Boundless Solids.  Fat quarter bundles always look so pretty just sitting there all tied up in their ribbon. You almost hate to open them up. And I always love the names of the fabrics.  These are called, Sunshine, Butter, Saffron, Deep Sea, Mint, Blue Lagoon, Scuba, Jewel, Caribbean, Aquarius, Azure, Purple, Lavender, Mulberry, Flamingo, Hot Pink, Cherry, Boysenberry, Sherbert, Melon and Fog.



Fat quarter bundles are always so pretty!

And since this quilt is made up of so many 2 1/2 inch square triangles I bought a 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 inch square quilting ruler by Omnigrid to square each one up.  It's my tiniest ruler yet.  I have to say it's kind of adorable!




Omnigrid 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 ruler.



First I cut up my fabric into 980 pieces and laid them out by color. There are 2/1/2 X 2 1/2 inch pieces and 3 X 3 inch pieces.

980 pieces of fabric.

Then I sewed the 3 inch pieces together into half square triangles (HST) and then cut them down and squared them off into 2 1/2 inches with my adorable new ruler.



Half Square Triangles (HST) all done.

After a week of chain piecing the fabric squares and then stitching all eighteen blocks together I finally finished the quilt top!


Chain piecing the fabric squares.

I rearranged the bottom row of the quilt top from what the pattern called for because the lavender square was at the end of the row and just seem to fade off so I put it in the middle.



Then I loaded it onto the longarm.  This is always my favorite part of quilting.  In fact, sometimes, I kind of resent having to spend all that time making the quilt because I'd rather be on the longarm than the sewing machine.  






I loaded my quilt top onto the longarm but instead of rolling it onto the bar I floated it this time. I also measured differently this time using the bottom leader with pins in it for my guide and flipping it up and rolling it down along the sides to square up as I went. This actually works quite well!







I quilted the entire quilt using two of my BERNINA rulers ... the straight ruler and the largest oblong ruler.  I used the oblong ruler in the middle of the squares and the straight ruler for the rest of the quilt.



I normally use Quilter's Dream batting but I've been wanting to try out a silk batting so I bought some Hobbs Tuscany Collection Silk Blend. This is a blend of silk and fine polyester and it is supposed to breathe naturally and be great for all climates.  It also claims to have an amazing drape even when heavily stitched.  



I used Micro Quilter #7007 - Silver thread on the top and Bottom Line #623 - Silver in the bobbin.  The tension was at 3.5 and the bobbin tension on the TOWA was 180.  Even though Micro Quilter recommends a 70/10 needle I used a 90/14 Jeans needle for all those thick intersecting seams.  I also slowed down my machine speed a bit to 230.  




My husband picked out this pattern for his niece because it reminded him of her ... bold, bright and beautiful! I hope Kelly enjoys her quilt.  It was stitched with love!  And I wish her all things bright and beautiful❣️




Remember to pick up a needle and thread and sew some love into your world ❣️







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here! I will enjoy reading them!