Thursday, April 11, 2019

BLUEBERRY FEATHERS QUILT 🍃

Finally ... I made a quilt just for me! I've been busy making quilts for my family but I've wanted to make this quilt for a long time now and so this one is just for me!





I first discovered this Blueberry Feathers quilt by Kristy on her website quietplaydesigns.com but it was some time after that before she published the quilt pattern and teamed up with Karen of karenlewistextiles.com based in Leeds, England for the fabric for the kit.  Karen does screen printed fabrics by hand.  I absolutely love, love, love her screen printed fabric! 


Isn't this fabric gorgeous?



These gorgeous little feathers are all paper pieced.  There are 28 feathers in the quilt and each feather is made up of 28 small pieces of fabric which are sewn onto a paper pattern from the back.  The paper is then ripped away and you're left with a beautiful little feather.  Sounds easy, but I probably only made 2 - 3 feathers a day.  Here's all the steps that go into making just one feather ...






While paper-piecing this quilt I decided to treat myself to a new ironing board cover! I hate when they get all stained so it was time for a new one.  






This was my second time doing paper-piecing for a quilt.  There are different ways to paper-piece.  I used the method where you use the Add A Quarter ruler.  I find this method much easier than the traditional way.





For this quilt I used Micro Quilter thread on the top and at first I used So Fine in the bobbin but it wasn't running well so I switched to Isacord and all went well from there.  This was also my first time straight stitching a quilt on my longarm.  That was easier than I thought it would be.  I used my channel locks and it was a breeze.  And since this is a relatively small quilt I floated it on the longarm using my Grace Company pink quilt clips for tension.







I also did something different with this quilt that I've never done before. I didn't bind it.  I faced it.  There are several tutorials out there describing this process.  I chose to do it this way because I'm going to be floating this from a modern quilt hanger above my desk in our computer/longarm room and I thought that facing it would give it a cleaner look and it would lay flatter.  





I enjoyed paper-piecing this quilt.  This is the 13'th quilt that I've done on my new longarm.  I'm having fun!  And here is my Blueberry Feathers Quilt  all hung up and floating from it's new quilt hanger! 


Remember to pick up a needle and thread and stitch some love into your world❣️

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here! I will enjoy reading them!